15 Dec 2008

Forest Glen


What a wet day! But it doesn't deter the dedicated team of Wrekin Forest Volunteers as we set out to clean up and enhance the Forest Glen Car Park at the foot of The Wrekin. As we worked on forging a new path from the CP to the layby I wasn't aware that there was a famous connection between this sylvan location and a very famous author of fantasy fiction - and one of my favourites...

This photo was taken a few months before his death in 1973 and I wonder how many others realize that The Wrekin was visited by JRR Tolkien when writing 'The Lord of the Rings' and in fact the hill could well have been an inspiration for him when creating 'The Shires' as part of Middle Earth.

Fascinating stuff!


But our task today was not fiction or fantasy. It was hands on with spades, loppers and saws. Whilst a few members of the crew - The Sleeper Team and The Ivy League worked on the main hill entrance most of us were given the task of creating a woodland path from the main car park east to the layby along the lane.


On completion this would then link with the path heading off to Limekiln Wood and The Ercall taking walkers off the lane and hence away from traffic.

So we set to...

Hi Ho, hi ho, it's off to work we GLOW!

And then it rained.
It got colder.
It rained some more.
It got even colder and even wetter.



It was even too wet for toads!








We soldiered on.






After forging the route right through we then held a ceremonial 'opening'.

In the absence of a local dignitary (other than Pete of course) the cutting of the ribbon went to Alistair who was initially concerned about the possibility of his photo being published yet again in the local papers (we didn't ask why!) but with no paparazzi present we managed to put his mind at rest and he happily took to the role. I wonder if he knows this blog is potentially viewed by millions worldwide though!?


All crews then combined to walk the way to-and-fro for a bit of path-flattening

And then back to the bus where some fell promptly fast asleep...




And the last Friday Foray of 2008 with the WuFuV's


Click the collage to view a few more pics...


No Howler Competition this week by the way but please feel free to leave a comment...




6 comments:

  1. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE AND A HAPPY NEW DOO-DAH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi folks

    Having extreme difficulty getting posts through to the blog. It's probably because I keep being rude about Paul !

    Anyway back to bats - I know it was weeks ago but what's the bat called that feeds exclusively on Gryllidae (order Orthoptera) ? Answers on a postcard etc.....

    The group photo on the blog last week purporting to be the one I took with the self timer didn't actually include me - was this the deliberate howler or did I actually trip up and miss the shot like Paul suggested. Now I'm 60 and it was ages ago I can't remember. No good asking Paul though for the same reason !

    Caption for last week:- Is Mary saying "Help help - Nigel's threatening to strangle me !" I don't think I actually was but see comment above re extreme age.

    See you Wednesday (if I get over the flu that my wife is trying to pass on!).


    Nigel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya Paul

    No Howler for this week!!!! Shock horror gasp! LOL You cant let us down gotta keep us on our toes hehe.
    BTW What was the answer to the Devils Dingle week... I think I was about the only one of us to enter and I need to know did I get it right or did the Howler leave me completely dumbfounded? LOL

    Hope to see and the rest of the gang at the Wednesday "Xmas Bash" at Ironbridge.
    PS You missed a good week at Apley Castle Woods last Friday.

    Lis D

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Lis. Sorry no howler for this week - it was just a quick post due to xmas and all that stuff. As for last week's howler - yes - there is a winner and if I get the channce I'll see to it on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Nigel: Are you sure you're not on it? How did that happen then? But you're so right; 60 is the turning point - more things go wrong yet they always seem so right! Welcome to the club!

    ReplyDelete
  6. After the van left Forest Glen last week, I was waiting for Marilyn, and it started to rain again. It was cold and pretty bleak. Then I saw someone coming towards me, a runner coming from Little Wenlock direction. And he was using the new path. Makes it all worthwhile somehow.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this post...